Monday, December 8, 2008

let's review: 08 concerts

Friday evening we went to a concert with some friends. The opening act didn't get me too excited. My mind wandered to the best concerts I saw this year. Anchorage gets smaller acts, but we also occasionally gets some big names. Heard of that Sir Elton John fellow?

The shows I most enjoyed this year were a few I mentioned in earlier posts: the Carolina Chocolate Drops (returning in May '09!), Trombone Shorty and Hamell on Trial. Each act was incredibly different in styles and material. But they shared one thing: energy. When I go to a concert, I've probably had a busy day but I don't want to be lulled to sleep (it's happened... a few times). I want something that makes me want to move; and sing and shout. I also want something that makes me feel. That makes me laugh and cry. To paraphrase Hamell, I don't want someone who just goes halfway.

After the second half of Friday's show I'll add another artist to the list of performers I would see again, Dan Bern. He's been to Anchorage a few times and we have one of his CDs, but I wasn't that familiar with his work or his performance style. He's a story teller with the sometimes mischievousness demeanor of a little boy who's just said something clever or naughty. Very funny and with a range of material from his own works to classics like "House of the Rising Sun." Even though it was getting late when he wrapped up, I could have stayed for another hour listening to him.

Thanks to Corinne & Paul for treating us to this show. See you next time.

No comments: