Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Welcome to the neighborhood

One morning last week a cow moose was roaming the neighborhood, stripping park from a tree in one neighbor's yard, eating the flower shoots from another. She rested in our yard, her body heaving - I thought I'd witness the birth of her calf but had to pedal off to work, sneaking out the side door of my garage to not startle her. Then I didn't see her again.

Last night, on my way home from work, I pedaled onto the bog trail near my house. I was crossing a boardwalk when I saw her again. I recognized her by the scar on her side. And there in the tall marsh grasses was her new little calf (see it?). Young and wobbly, hiding from me as I pulled out my camera and kept my eyes on mom.

I could hear the gulls and geese as the bog came to life with its summer residents. I tried to be patient without stressing out the mom who started walking behind some trees. The calf got onto all four legs and began following, slowly, as I watched.

I thanked them for sharing, then got on my bike and rode home. It was the best part of my day.


Alaska's Dirt said...

Sweet! Isn't life grand? Thanks for the good ride tonight Rose.

chic cyclist said...

Incredible. What I would give to see that! Thank you for sharing it with us.