Sunday, November 13, 2011

oh, my shoulder!

Mention the slightest ache to my cycling friends and they're bound to fill me in on a similar injury they've had. Some have been healed with the help of a good physical therapist, some swear by injections, still others detail surgeries and rehabilitations that brought them back from the sidelines. Now I'll have a story for them.

This summer and fall, I would sometimes mention 'my picky shoulder.' Let me back up: I was helping excavate the foundation, and could only shovel so much before I'd have to take a break. I felt terrible for not digging more and not being able to throw the dirt very far but my shoulder had begun to hurt. Then I began helping with trail work at Kincaid Park, using the loppers or the McLeod, sometimes chopping with the Pulaski. Again, the shoulder would get aggravated, but I could deal with the pain, then rest it and get back to work. Then I did a ride on part of the new singletrack and took a spill - okay, I endoed - on a steep section. After my hands hit the freshly-sculpted dirt, I brushed myself off and hopped back on the bike to finish the ride. No big deal.

In late September, I took the Fargo - my drop-bar mountain-touring bike - to Eklutna Lake for a camping trip. That's where things got worse. Pulling the Bob trailer and not having suspension was not so bad, but having my arms extended for the road-style handlebar had me nearly in tears once I got home from the trip. I did some icing; took something for pain and tried to ignore it. I also avoided trail work and stayed off the bike for a few days. I had a Utah trip to prepare for. I needed to not hurt.

Before packing my bike for the early October trip, I did one final mountain bike ride on the new trails at Kincaid. I took it easy, careful to not launch off any of the little jumps that are featured on the trails. The shoulder felt pretty good and even seemed to get better throughout the trip. But after returning to Anchorage and doing a few more rides, the recovery seemed to plateau at the 'nagging-pain' level. I had to find out what was going on. So this past Wednesday, I went to see Dr. Mike, the guy I see when I hurt myself or when my sinuses are acting up.

Let's just say that Dr. Mike confirmed my suspicion. And then some. Bursitis in the right shoulder (I thought that was for old people!) and a small tear in the rotator cuff. Ouch! I have a friend whose rotator tear was healed through physical therapy; a few more have gone through surgery. But I can't even start the recovery until the swelling subsides. (Dr. Mike said the bursa is normally the size of a dime but mine was the size of a ping-pong ball!) My regimen for the first week is to ice the shoulder six times a day for 30 minutes each time. That's practically a part-time job! I'm applying an anti-inflammatory cream (it's just a coincidence that the manufacturer is ENDO Pharmaceuticals) and an oral anti-inflam. The other part of my regimen is to rest the shoulder. And that's the tough part.

I'm not going to ski; not going to bike; not shoveling snow, not lifting heavy dishes onto high shelves. Wait, did you hear that I'm not going to be biking? That's right. It's snowshoes for me until further notice. Today I even had one of my friends pick up my Mukluk snowbike so I won't have to look at it sitting neglected in the corner of the guest room while we have these awesome snow conditions.

I hope to make the most of my non-biking time. I'm already snowshoeing more than I would have. I'm also dedicating a little more time to writing, applying a little sitzfleisch, you could say. As long as I keep myself busy and keep the word counts up, I think I can deal with a little time off the bike. I'll let you know how that goes.

6 comments:

Pete Basinger said...

Drop bars and mtn. bikes just don't go together. I'm sure people will appreciate you packing down the bike trails.

bikegirl said...

I was about to say, "what an opinionated ..." then realized it was you! The bar was fine before, but not w/this injury. Anyway, now I get a new bar (& shifters).

The snowshoeing is nice & it's fun to listen to my fat-tired brethren whine that not enough people are packing things down. I'm doing the best I can!

You would love the conditions.

Jennoit said...

Oh man - bursitis sucks! Since everyone has a story for you about their injuries, I'll add mine. I gave myself bursitis in my sleep. That's right, I used to sleep on my shoulder with my arm above my head. Could never figure out why putting a shirt on over my head felt like I was being stabbed in the arm. My doctor wondered if I was a volleyball or baseball player. Ha!

Anyhow, rest worked for me. Hope it does for you too!

bikegirl said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Jenn. So much for having an epic story to tell people. The icing is going okay & I'm definitely trying to be more deliberate in everything I do.

You don't realize how many times a day you reach for something until you can't. I have to stop and tell myself "left hand!"

Btw, my friends & I are hoping to do a Whitehorse trip next summer. I keep hearing good things about the mtn biking.

corinne said...

your mukluk is cozy in our garage and i promise to take it for a spin so it doesn't feel neglected once these frigid temperatures pass. thanks! c

injury lawyer nyc said...

Read everyone's experiences.............brave people.