Monday, July 30, 2012

tour of veggies

Yesterday was the annual Anchorage Garden Club Garden Tour. I went for the first time last year, biking with friends from one garden to the next, half the time in the rain. This year, I joined my friends for part of the tour, driving instead of cycling. I visited every garden in the tour and the one thing that stood out this year was produce. People are growing their own veggies.

I don't recall any vegetables in last year's tour, but this year at least three gardens were growing not just flowers, but food.

This garden is in Oceanview (I spent more time chatting with friends who own the garden and didn't take many pics):

Overlooking the inlet. Though this shows mostly flowers, they grew loads of veggies here!

Another view.
Here are a few from Turnagain:

In the front yard.

South side of house; notice the mirror behind the lattice.

My favorite colors! This is on the back deck.

Peas climbing next to the raspberries.

I think this is the only way to grow tomatoes in Alaska!

Backyard garden entrance on north side of house.
Back in Oceanview:

The homeowner designed this fence and had a landscaping company build it.

Besides the vegetable gardens, I love looking at fences and gates. We're due for new fences in our backyard and will need a new gate or two, also. I remember this one from biking past it last year during the tour. This time we got to check it out and wander the yard.

So, there you have it, the garden tour 2012. This time next year I hope to report on a bike ride of the tour and my own veggies. For the record, Jon and I planted a tiny patch of potatoes this spring and some friends gave us a tomato plant. It's our first foray into gardening in a long time. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: